of the Church of the Cross / Kreuzkirchengemeinde
Founded in 1890, the congregation made use of a small wooden chapel in Kasselsvleiweg, Bellville South, for nearly 60 years. Because of the Apartheid policy in the 1950’s, the congregation was obliged to move their church services away from the area. The chapel though, was donated to a coloured Lutheran congregation for use for many years to come.
For a number of years after the move from Kasselsvleiweg, our Congregation of the Cross had an arrangement with the NG Moedergemeente of Bellville to use their church hall in Teddington Street for services. This arrangement remained in place until the present church building in Middle Street was completed and inaugurated in 1963. A few years later the church hall and the Kindergarten building was added.